Music Banter - View Single Post - Neil Young
Thread: Neil Young
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #83 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
I became interested in his music through listening to Buffalo Springfield. While I already was familiar with his best known songs through the radio (This was around the Early 80's, during the time he was recording the albums that made people wonder), I had to dive into the Springfield's music through the Retrospective to hear what went on before going solo, with a focus on what makes him unique. "Expecting to Fly" is seriously beautiful, "Mr. Soul" caught my ears, "Broken Arrow" was great, and even songs like "Clancy" and "On the Way Home" (I admit, I liked it) stood out while being sang by Richie Furay. By the time Young returned to cranking the amps to 11,000 and recording some of his best in years, I heard plenty for me to say that he's someone I can fully respect after diving into some albums and the Decade mega-set. He innovated in '67, kicked out the slow burning jams with Crazy Horse, had a habit of going to a musical edge, was among the first rockers to release a film that made the few who saw it go "What in the HELL did I just go through?!!!" when many others were making straight out performance pics, had one of the most interesting films that had to wait for video to see an audience, joined forces with Devo and Dennis Hopper (a mega-plus!), and more. In '79-'80, I was into Rust Never Sleeps, and by the release of Weld, there's a fuller understanding. After that, it's been ranging differently (I still have to get his latest), but he's created plenty of music to dig through...and I even have to admit that the Shocking Pinks era was alright in my book ("Wonderin'" still remains to me a very under-rated song and Tim Pope-Directed video).
Yer "Buffalo Springfield Again" is a great album, but I`m surprised that you didn`t mention Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young above. Their harmonies were sublime and the album "Deja Vu" an absolute classic. I love Neil on that album despite the fact I think Dave Crosby had the best material on the album. `s were bad for Neil Young and there are some really bad albums in this period.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote