Music Banter - View Single Post - Neil Young
Thread: Neil Young
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #84 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Yer "Buffalo Springfield Again" is a great album, but I`m surprised that you didn`t mention Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young above. Their harmonies were sublime and the album "Deja Vu" an absolute classic. I love Neil on that album despite the fact I think Dave Crosby had the best material on the album. `s were bad for Neil Young and there are some really bad albums in this period.
Yeah, I was mainly focusing on Young as a solo as a bit of an introduction and forgot to mention Deja Vu. My favorite CSN and Y track has to be "Ohio," both as the song that introduced me to the harmonies and as something that's hard to surpass. I only dabbled in CSN - Back when I was just starting to get into music, there was "Wasted on the Way," and as a young Punk-type at that moment (Early 80's memories again), you might get the idea on how that turned me away from the three initials for the time being...although of course with Y American Dream some time later was seriously disappointing as well, so it took me up to the next decade to fully grasp CSN as someone who was just starting to fully experience music listening, and remembering that one classic song that got me beck to diving in once more. While I'm one of those who seriously has to have the Y in the equation, I respect the work of Crosby, Stills and Nash.

I don't know if you were referring to The 80's or '90's, but if you were referring to The 80's, I can understand the opinions of the last Reprise album (Re-ac-tor) to "Lucky 13" era, as it is seriously was a jaw-dropping moment in music history that still made people root for the artist, but in a way I dug the more experimental moments of it if not full on. Everyone has the bad album, Landing on Water and Life were not quite returns to complete form, sounding to me like they were completely trying to satisfy Geffen and keep his career moving (Can't blame him, though). I also understood the Old Ways album, now sounding like the ultimate warm-up to Harvest Moon and his Reprise Return, This Note's for You, was good, but still giving the listener the feeling that those amps should be set at "Crazy Horse Loud" once again. Thankfully, that moment happened.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote