Music Banter - View Single Post - Dirty's Lyrics and Songs
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Dirty, I listened to all the songs in your thread so far, and agree with Conan that although three of your songs ("Dirty Curt," "All Scientific", "Untitled,") seem to be basic bragging about your rap style and skills, your lyrics do sound very philosophical, and you have a nice flow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Nice beats, I liked the samples you used. Your flow was on point, emotion was right for this type of track. Your style, even when your doing basic bragging, is very philosophical sounding.
One thing I like about your lyrics is that they actually make sense. Some rappers I've heard put words together apparently almost randomly, just for the sound, not for the sense, and I much prefer there to be a concept beneath the words.

Since you wrote that you are just writing and making music that you like and not to be competitive in the market, plus that you want to be original, my recommendation would be to avoid songs that go on about how original your rapping is...because don't a lot of rappers do that? The impression I get is that a big part of rapping is this competitive "I'm the better rapper" idea. I haven't listened to much rap, though, so that may not be valid.

I was most interested in your first song, because the topic of a breakup and the emotions it causes is a tough one to describe without it getting all mushy and melodramatic sounding. I was also a little surprised by the song because I don't usually think of rappers talking about relationship issues without using the word "whore," so that was refreshing.

I especially liked the following lines (in bold) in your lyrics for "Hollow," because you use a lot of metaphors to make your point, and the song is both introspective, analytical, and emotional. I've also wondered occasionally if the lemon is worth the squeeze, because sometimes after a relationship and all the trying to make it into a good one (the "squeeze") you just end up with a sour taste and a bad relationship (the "lemon"). There's no lemonade, no sugar. So, I especially liked that metaphor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post

"Hollow" song

When it ends, yes I still pretend we're meant to be
connecting dots, making plots of where my life should be

cause she shines just like a ruby
the beauty in my broken movie

I'm confused at how it hurts so much
to watch your lust turn to love and then love reverts back to dust.

Was the lemon worth the squeeze?
Thinkin, how do lovers make amends?
Can they still be friends without the benefits
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-28-2010 at 09:32 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote