Music Banter - View Single Post - The Indie & Alternative Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #127 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

I seem to be growing more impatient with indie music. Everything just sounds like a rehash or a minor upgrade. There also doesn't seem to be any strong songwriters left, to much ermm- laziness (I'm looking at you, Best Coast,Dum Dum Girls, Wavves etc)

I guess this is why I get extra excited when something does prickle my ears. My current faves being Micachu (who I'm gonna call indie tho she mashes it up with grime, electro, riot giirl and ermm skiffle) Beach Fossils (hazy Beat Happening/C86 stylee with some nice lyrics), and my boy, Arial Pink.

AArhhggg! Can't post vids cos i ain't got enough posts. Get hold of Micachus Jewellery album, it's a scruffy pop gem that's fun and funny and innovative at the same time.

And if you ain't already, you must get Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti's Before Today album, which came out earlier in the year. His most accessible album to date and his first with a band behind him (his previous albums, though great, he recorded in his basement to a cassette tape, used his voice as percussion and make the White Stripes sound like they had the production values of MJ's Invincible.) His 70s MOR influenced songs can be eccentric to say the least, with their unexpected melodic twists and turns. But once your noggin gets adjusted to his way of thinking you often find yourself asking "why hasn't no one wrote this song before? It's so obvious"

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote