Music Banter - View Single Post - Suede
Thread: Suede
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jakkc
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAShift View Post
I was amazed at the first two(proper, minus intro) songs from Dog Man Star. The rest is not that exciting, although you can definitely hear some talent in every song. The Asphalt world starts out well, but was it really necessary to make it a 9 min long jam session?

Didn't get much chance to hear their other albums, might give their S/T a whirl later on.
Still, a very solid record, thanks MB for introducing me to them.
DMS isn't a very accessible album at first and takes a few listens to appreciate but once it grows on you the variety on the album will absolutely blow your socks off start to finish - bar Still Life maybe. But seriously every song on that album is incredible! And a note on The Asphalt World, this song was one of the reasons Butler left the band, he originally intended for the song to be about half an hour long with an 8 minute solo! That threw up some disagreements in the band cause Brett wanted to go the other direction and become a rock star! Either way I'd love one day for a demo of the 30 minute version to turn up!

Looking through this thread people seem to only rate S/T, DMS and SL. I have to say that Coming Up is really underrated in my opinion, taking into account the band just lost one of the best guitarists over the past 25 years, I think its a credit to Brett that he managed to keep the band together and bring the band successfully into his image. Gotta love She, Picnic by the Motorway, Chemistry Between Us - but the whole albums really strong in my opinion.

Anyone at the Royal Albert Hall show? Or got tickets to the o2 show in december? Major excited for the latter!

Last edited by Jakkc; 11-01-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Jakkc is offline   Reply With Quote