Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Afternoon
Thread: Good Afternoon
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Percy Thrillington
Groupie

@ mojo and Janz.

Ive taken on board both of your points, and to a large degree youre right, there is however a loop hole in both of your theories if you dont mind me saying. Record sales! If music today is more accesible and there is so much more of it and it is more diverse then why arent people buying it like they used to? Is it because of free illegal downloads or is it because the masses just dont like it as much as they used to, in my opinion its a bit of both.

It is easier nowadays to record your music and get it heard by people thats true, but just because you think youre a musician and you think your band is great doesnt mean they are does it. They do say the cream always rises but that theory has pretty much been proved wrong over the last decade hasnt it, most musicians i know couldnt motivate themselves to sit in front of a computer and plug their myspace or facebook etc etc. I also know musicians that have no talent whatsoever that work on there websites and have a lot of friends online etc and get alot of plays, but never anywhere other than their website. Unfortunately for the real talents they still need discovering and they masses of talentless musicians/artists are just muddling everything up.

I believe there is a young Bob Dylan or a young McCartney sat in his bedroom somewhere undiscovered, humans cant have lost the art of writing and playing can they? But it does appear that way doesnt it. I believe the standard of songwriting and musicianship has gone down heavily over the last decade, only because the real talents havent and arnt been discovered. The internet has its downsides aswell, just like everything does.
Percy Thrillington is offline   Reply With Quote