Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Afternoon
Thread: Good Afternoon
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

But it does mean that there is more music available to you. I'm not referring to kids who play covers of Led Zeppelin songs poorly on their guitars in their bedrooms and upload them to myspace and youtube or anything like that. In that sense, there is a lot of terrible music out there for you to listen to, yes.

I mean bands. I mean bands who are signed to labels, look to get their music heard and use the internet as a tool to offer their band a greater exposure, to acquire new fans in a much easier way and yes of course, thanks to illegal downloads this bands albums will all be made available to anyone who wants to hear them free of charge. Whether this is right or wrong is irrelevant at this turn doesn't matter, all that matters is that it is easier for someone like me to look up a kind of music I am in the mood for and find bands who, without the internet, I would never know anything about.

We were only talking about diversity here. I can't see an argument that music was more diverse in the 60's or 70's here. What were your options for discovering music then? Radio? Buying concert tickets? There are so many more ways for a band to get their music heard now and so for the bands that play a style of music that is ultimately going to be accepted by just a small corner of the overall market, they have options available to them to keep going which simply were not there in the 70's.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote