Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Afternoon
Thread: Good Afternoon
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Thrillington View Post
I think the main difference would be that bands in the 60s and 70s had to go out and play gigs instead of the internet. These bands came though didnt they, the internet isnt a life saving tool when it comes to getting your music heard, at some point you need to develop an audience that will pay money to see you or to buy your album in order to carry on making music professionally.

Getting 1,000 plays a day online doesnt pay the studio does it, if they had to pay to listen how many plays would they get then? Doesnt matter if you want to conquer the world or just have a career in music to a small audience either way you have to create an income or you cant do it. Talent is the key, and talent is a rare commodity it needs to be found and given time to develop and the audience naturally grows with it giving you an income.

I have yet to see any cast iron evidence that the internet has improved the music industry for the talented, which in turn means its improved for the listener aswell.
You're shifting the goal post here. The conversation isn't about what's the best business model, the conversation is about whether or not the 1970s was more musically diverse than the present. I think it's been pretty clearly demonstrated that it wasn't.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote