Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Afternoon
Thread: Good Afternoon
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Percy Thrillington
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
But bands do play gigs. Bands do tour. Thanks to the internet I now have the facility to listen to a band and then go and PAY to see them play. In the 70's if they werent on the radio and couldn't get their music to me then I wouldn't go and see them play and ultimately they would be unable to survive, unless they played a style of music that would be accepted by a large commercial audience.

The internet can help these bands survive.

Also whats your definition of talent? Isn't that down to the individual? Isn't it down to the listener? Without the internet how could a band who play to niche markets survive on the scale they do today?
So in bygone eras no bands ever sold an album or toured because the internet hadnt been invented yet so they couldnt do it? Is that what your saying. There were more great bands around back then than there are now, if there wasnt then what are todays fakes trying so hard to tap into their audience. Im sure at some point in the future the internet will find its proper use within the music industry but it hasnt yet.

It might come as a shock to you but niche markets have always existed, and so have artists that appeal to niche markets, the internet didnt invent niche markets. Rock n Roll was a niche market in the early mid 50s, long before the internet.
Percy Thrillington is offline   Reply With Quote