Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #4732 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
I used to be this way, and I honestly regret it. Metal is perhaps one of the most misunderstood genres. I only know a handful of metal bands at this moment, but even I grew to know better.
I'd say metal is more misrepresented than misunderstood. One of the things that's lost on many people who aren't that familiar with metal is that it is a geek/nerd genre. I don't know why this astonishes people so much, I kind of thought guys like Dio would have made that painfully obvious but it's a fact that still manages to elude people. Geeks and nerds also tend to be outsiders, and as such tend to not have the greatest social skills. Metal hasn't really had a Carl Sagan to help bridge the differences, instead you've mostly gotten angry white guys with Slayer carved into their wrists. With those kinds of imagery conjured it's not hard to see why people just kind of let metal do its own thing, but amongst the legions of shit (and there are legions of it) you will find the gems lurking in the muck. Luckily with the Internet and torrents it's never been easier to find good music from halfway across the world.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote