Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #5803 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Swirlies - They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days in the Glittering World of the Salons

This has been talked about numerous times in various threads. A few members here are responsible for my downloading of this earlier in the year (namely duga and jackhammer I think) and I finally got around to listening to it yesterday - playing it again now. Very good 90s college rock reminiscent of early Smashing Pumpkins, some My Blood Valentine (though I'm not well versed in their stuff), and the more melodic, less abrasive Sonic Youth. Yesterday I was also reminded of Silversun Pickups quite a bit, though I haven't noticed it as much today. Kind of gave me the impression that they were a big influence on their sound (along with the Pumpkins, of course). I'm reminded of another 90s band but I still can't put my finger on who it is...been trying to think of it since yesterday. Actually, it might be Autolux. Anyway, great album! I'll be checking out their debut soon. And to reiterate, their music is available free on their site: Discography & Audio : Swirlies