Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Shoegaze week!
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post

I am curious as to how people who are fans of shoegaze but not black metal feel about the emerging genre from France. This year has seen 3 high profile releases of this sound, and I'm assuming a lot of smaller bands trying to capitalize on the popularity as well. These releases are:

Alcest - êcailles de lune
Lantlos - .neon
Les Descrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées

I'm already read a lot of opposition to this fusion from black metal fans, mostly claiming that the bands are "bastardizing" their genre by trying to make it more friendly and accessible. I'm not really sure if that's necessarily a bad idea, but black metal fans tend to be a little... extreme in their zealousness to their genre and the encroachment of another genre into their "territory" will not always receive a warm welcoming. Still at the same time symphonic elements have been added to black metal and have met both critic and fan appraisal and since then has been evolving, yet still staying within the boundaries that make up black metal.

I figured this would be the best time to get some feedback on my ideas and what you all think about it.
I absolutely love the stuff. I don't quite understand why black metal fans have to be so opposed to this. Just don't listen to it. I'm sure there are still plenty of traditional black metal bands out there. I think black metal lends itself perfectly to shoegaze. Both are all about guitars and both are all about atmosphere. I thought about combining the two long before this started gaining any popularity, so I was very happy to see it actually happen.