Music Banter - View Single Post - San Francisco Bans Happiness
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I've always wondered why people say this. I grew up in a house that didn't have a lot of money and I can count on one hand the number of times I ate in fast food places because my mother used to always say that they weren't good for you and a waste of money.

I think it's more about food management than money. It's about knowing about the food you eat & how to make the most of it for as little price as possible.

I could easily make healthy meals every day for what it would cost to eat at mcdonalds for a whole week.
I'm not saying that part of the problem isn't simply lazy parenting. I was speaking more to the convenience factor in situations where both parents work different hours and home cooked meals aren't something that can happen every day.
My childhood was like yours, except we didn't even have the money to eat fast food. We had pots of beans to spread between 5 children and two adults. Fast food was a rarity that only happened if we were on a long trip and it became necessary. But comparing to even my childhood in the 80's, and yours in the 60's or whenever, things have definitely changed and I know that has to be at least some factor in the whole thing.

As far as healthy food being more expensive... all I know is when I go shopping here in the states, I spend A LOT more when buying fruits, vegetables, non-processed foods, etc.. than when I buy frozen dinners, processed packaged meals and food items, etc.
I know it's gotta be a lot worse for folks with families to feed as well.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote