Music Banter - View Single Post - Born in the wrong generation
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #87 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
The idea that the 60's were better than now is so infuriating.

How are there less hippies now? Do you want to live in the 1960's or just get laid?
I think the 60's were better than now. It's not really a commentary on how great I think the 60's were' but more on what an identity crisis the music of today has. I know there's a lot of great stuff going on right now musically, but it seems so detached from anything remotely "now", historically or otherwise. I just seems to be the regurgitation of the culmination of 60 years of pop culture coupled with a short attention span.

I will say that the 60's, at least the psychedelic era, corresponded with a massive expansion in our culture's consciousness, which was also very closely tied, and compounded by the first war in human history where real-time media exposure brought an awareness to all the injustices that were occurring all around us.

I don't think that outside of that context, the music of the 60's was any better or worse than the music of today. I just think it had a more cultural and historical relevance, if not more substance.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote