Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 50 albums of TheFolkslave
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #35 (permalink)
TheFolkslave
Music Addict

41. Kingston Wall - II (1993)

Genre: Progressive rock, psychedelic rock

Kingston Wall was a psychedelic/progressive rock group from Helsinki, Finland, originally formed in 1987. The band consisted of Petri Walli (guitar, vocals), Jukka Jylli (bass, backing vocals) and Sami Kuoppamäki (drums, percussion). The band was hugely influenced by Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd. They took those influences and added eastern themes, mysticism and the psychedelia of acid-rock.
Petri Walli was the driving force of the band since he formed it and composed most of the songs. He also ran the bands own Trinity Records.
II was the bands second album released in 1993. For this record the band brought in some more acoustic and folk elements and added saxophones. They also did a cover version of the Donna Summer disco classic I Feel Love.

The band dispanded quite shortly after recording their third and last album Tri-Logy in 1994. After this the band member went on their seperate ways. Walli left for India and shortly after his return to Finland in 1995 he jumped to his death from the tower of Töölö church in central Helsinki.

Kingston Wall never became hugely popular during the time they played together. After the group had disbanded their popularity started growing through word-of-mouth. Now the band has a small cult following status all around the world.

Im not a huge prog fan myself but this is a band that I have enjoyed listening to for some years now. I first heard about this band from my class mate who was a huge fan. He recommended the band so I decided to give it a try and I started liking them alot. This is the best album they release in my opinnion. Kingston Wall is a legendary finnish band and I respect them alot. Go give this album a try!

Track listing:

1. We Cannot Move
2. Istwan
3. Could It Be So?
4. And It's All Happening
5. Love Tonight
6. Two Of a Kind
7. I Feel Love
8. Shine On Me
9. You
10. Palékastro

R.I.P Petri Walli

Well I come from the old time baby, where all the kids are crazy.
TheFolkslave is offline   Reply With Quote