Music Banter - View Single Post - Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis; A Tom Waits review
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #73 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Because I like it the least out of all his albums.

I love Tom Waits, he's one of my favorite musicians, but one gripe I've always had with him is his occasional tendency toward writing extremely tedious ballads. It was a bit of an epidemic for him early in his career. The second half of The Heart of Saturday Night, for example, is almost unlistenable because of this. The good news that for most of his output since the early 80s he's managed to largely avoid this trap. The bad news is Alice, which unfortunately is an entire album's worth of this kind of material.
I think I understand exactly what you're saying. I don't like pop ballads in general and I like Tom Waits but I don't really like his ballads either.

In fact the main reason I like his later stuff more than his early stuff is because his later-years voice is rough and garbled enough to make up for his sappiness.

I may be remembering it wrong but I thought there are at least a couple songs on Alice where he belts out that excellent deep guttural sound. And I remember kind of liking the ballads, too, but like I said, I hardly remember
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote