Music Banter - View Single Post - Skill Progression - Self Taught
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Toao
Groupie

Quote:
You cannot actually play without theory. Theory is always not only relevant to music, but inseparable from it. Even if you deduced the theory yourself through many sessions of playing by ear.
I don't think that's entirely true. How much theory did Muddy Waters understand?

And there are a lot of other examples. You don't have to know anything about theory to hum a tune. And someone with no knowledge of theory can make up a tune a whistle it, and come up with "Don't worry, be Happy"

(Although McFerrin is a bad example)

But still, you can learn 3 open chords & be Jewell.

Knowledge of theory matters when you're trying to orchestrate, or harmonize.

My advice, download powertab, it's free.

And then just search for the songs you want using powertab as a tag.

Another good one is guitarpro. That one is cool because you can turn the tab off, and just have standard notation, if you want to learn the notes. That one isn't free, but you might ask around. Some people have a copy they save for friends that don't have it. I know I have one saved somewhere.

And there are also a lot of backing tracks out there. When I can post links I'll show you stuff that will help you. It's not as good as playing with a band, but it's better than nothing.

And when possible, use a metronome. Just search for free metronome and you'll find em online.
Toao is offline   Reply With Quote