Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Klezmer week!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I only have what Zorn and his affiliates have done. But I do love it. I'll check out those Java Jews, Vege.
Yes, you simply can't go through life without hearing the Java Jews, Conan!

I didn't know whom you meant by Zorn so I looked him up and see you must mean John Zorn. He's a fascinating musician because of his range of interests spanning many genres. I'd forgotten all about his klezmer-inspired band Masada.

Wiki says: "Zorn set himself the task of writing 100 compositions within a year incorporating klezmer styles with his already broad musical palette. Within three years, the number of compositions had grown to 200 and became known as the first Masada book."

Zorn says, "The project for Masada was to create something positive in the Jewish tradition something that maybe takes the idea of Jewish music into the 21st century the way jazz developed from the teens and 1920s into the '40s, the '50s, the '60s and on..."

Here is one of their klezmer-inspired jazzy songs, and, though I generally don't like jazz, this is...actually kind of nice, with a hushed, delicate playful quirkiness due to all that string plucking and occasional bell ringing and tapping, with bursts of energy here and there, such as when the jangly electric guitar plays.

John Zorn - Khebar

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-11-2010 at 12:42 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote