Music Banter - View Single Post - Are metal fans social misfits?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hank The Drifter
Take it easy, but take it

I would say yes and no.

To begin with I'd like to say I'm a social misfit. I talk but very, very little. I'm just a very shy and reserved person. I'm perfectly content with being all by myself and honestly I prefer it to being around people most of the time.

I certainly don't think its a bad thing, honestly. I think its what causes a lot of misconceptions about metal listeners, though. Because if someone is quite and doesn't talk much they are normally going to be looked at as different and weird.

From my experience of talking to other metal listeners many of them are interested in things the general public aren't and usually have a different view of things than most. That's certainly not a bad thing, in my opinion because that's what makes the world interesting. With that being said I can only speak from experience on the internet because nobody I know outside of the internet listens to metal.

At the same time a lot of the more accessible bands are listened to by people that AREN'T social misfits. Not a lot I can say about this though.

I think a majority of extreme metal lovers do seem to be a little less social than other people. Mostly because they have a different way of thinking than most people.

Personally, I just have a love for music. That's why I listen to metal, because I like it. Not because I feel any different from anyone else, just simply because I like it.