Music Banter - View Single Post - Are metal fans social misfits?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Toxic Fame
Groupie

I guess the answer is:

Are social misfits drawn towards metal? Yes.

Does that make metal fans social misfits? Obviously, no.

I was merely curious as to what percentage of social misfits take to metal compared to other genres of music. I've no doubt emo, goth, punk, etc are populated with the same kind of people, I just wonder in what numbers.

All of us here certainly have anecdotal evidence of metal fans who for want of a better word, are socially retarded, but looking at the bigger picture, this is true of people in all walks of life.

I know there has been much in-fighting in recent years among metal fans regarding "Bro-d00des", where metal fans lampoon other metal fans who go on about Pantera, BLS, etc, in a jock-rock fashion *crush empty beer can against temple* while yelling "Woah-Yeah!" But I suppose, if you look at the behaviour, regular jocks probably listen to all kind of music.

I guess there is no significant correlation between metal and social misfits, as much as people may think there is based on some generalisations.

Ha, remember years ago, when metal bands used to get the blame for people doing bad things? “Devil-worshipping music!”

I know, he's not everyone's cup of tea but Marilyn Manson had to go to court several times just to get permission to play in certain US states, because parents and christian groups thought he was the anti-christ.

Cheers for all the replies.
Toxic Fame is offline   Reply With Quote