Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

i was actually born in canada, but moved to saudi arabia when i was really young, and don't remember anything before then, so I basically grew up there. living there definitely gave me a unique perspective on the subject, mainly because I was able to see not only how the US corporations opperated within the country and how they fit in with the local government (which in the very near future could collapse entirely, but thats another story) but i also got to see first hand alot of arab sentiment regarding the United states and other western countries. for the most part, the majority of arab muslims in the middle east have very negative feelings for america's government, but not their citizens. they know that government does not reflect the type of people actually living in the country, and are really very hospitable towards western ex-pats (ex patriats) and tourists. also, I got to see first hand the condidtions people are living in in countries all over the middle east. you simply can't have an idea how brutally repressive these regimes are unless you've seen it first hand, it's absolutely sickening. I can't tell you how much I feel for the people living under those regimes (i luckly escaped this, living on an american base). another thing that you really notice is how militant the countries in that region are. if you think the united states is over the top with gun ownership, you'd be shocked. Around my elementary school there were heavily armed guards (AKA-47 assault rifels usually) accompanied by trained bomb-dectecting dogs. and this was around an elementary school, plus the 10 foot tall concrete barriers to stop truck bombs. outside the complex, there were heavily armed checkpoints with more armed guards to make sure the right people got in and out of the complex. now of course all this security was implemented by the american military, but it was very reflective of the type of environment. outside the complex, the mall security was equipped with AKA-47 assault rifels (they seemed to like those) and it was very rare for the men not to own and/or carry guns. of course the women have absolutely no rights whatsoever, to the point where its absolutely disgusting. living there was basically like living in another universe, so needless to say it was really difficult for me to adjist back to life in canada after we moved. the reason we moved was pretty much because my parents got antsy after the Kobar towers were bombed in 1996. Al-Kobar, a city about 15 minutes away fro the complex where I lived, had a huge apartment complex (accross the street from my dad's office building) which housed hundreds of american soldiers (and soldiers from other counrties) still there from the gulf war. terrorists targeted these towers (i'm pretty sure it was an al-queda cell) and over a hundred people were killed. it was the scariest day of my life coming to school the next morning and hearing nothing but "did you hear the bomb go off last night?" anyways, that's pretty much my childhood, (which for all the uglyness i've described was actually really great). kinda rambled a bit, but hey, couldn't help myself. (now i'm really screwed for homework, looks like another night with very little sleep for me).
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote