Music Banter - View Single Post - Are metal fans social misfits?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

They only appear social misfits because it just happens to be a form of music that maybe only one in ten people like so it's all too easy to say they are misfits because they are in a minority.

I wouldn't class myself as a social misfit just because I grew up with and still listen to metal after 24 years. Most scenes attract certain character types but maybe because the lyrical themes of Metal also cross reference other forms of media (arguably more than most other scenes) including literature, fantasy, horror, mythology, politics, sci- fi etc then it attracts fans who don't just listen to the music to have a good time but fans with other relative non mainstream interests. This just means they are even more in a minority.

Despite some of the ridiculous imagery, clothes and subject matter of some bands, I still find Metal to be one of the most rich and diverse forms of music out there regarding it's non music interests and it is a huge door opener for fans to explore other genres of music.

I personally think the rest of them are misfits!

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote