Music Banter - View Single Post - Remasters
Thread: Remasters
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I like bonus tracks, though I agree with you. If I download a remastered album, I always split it into 2: the original track list, and a bonus disc titled album name [bonus tracks]. Because yes, I want to hear it how it was originally intended. I find that listening to it with bonus tracks brings down the overall quality and makes it drag (which can bring down my overall impression of the "album" even if all the bonus tracks are solid).

My preference would be for bonus tracks to always be on a 2nd disc (not cost-effective for the labels especially if everything fits on one disc), and otherwise have them clearly labeled as bonus tracks in the track list. Back in the pre-internet days I can't count the number of CDs I purchased not knowing the CD release included bonus tracks. Ones that come to mind are Skinny Puppy's early albums (the first being an EP but sold as an album with twice as many tracks on CD). Now that I know, I split my digital files apart and enjoy them more...because they're shorter and more solid.