Music Banter - View Single Post - Why Friends Don't Support Friends
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post

I think you are right that we're sometimes more fascinated with people we don't know well. Also, it may be that when you know a creative person well, you may get to see the slow process of creating, the wrong notes, the weird chords, rather than just the slick end result. So, it is easier not to be in awe of their creations.

I think a big factor may just be the influence of peer pressure, a group mentality: if you hear that someone else appreciates someone (an artist, a movie-maker), then you may be more likely to appreciate the art than if it were being created by an unknown, Joe Blow, who lives right next to you and scratches his rump as he takes out the trash.

The bolded part is right on I think... I know even with myself, my room mates and friends would hear unfinished verses, lame rhymes and stuff all the time as I was trying to piece together a song. I might record 5 songs but use pieces of each song to make one finished product that I really love instead of 5 mediocre ones. And I think if your friends see and hear all of the inner workings that goes into making music, it takes the awe out of the finished product.

Liking artists is always a conversational type thing too.. Like you're getting to know someone, and you're like "You ever listen to (insert popular artist)?" and just the fact that the other person knows who they are starts a conversation.. If you are like "you should listen to my buddy who raps," they don't know the person really is and a lot of people kinda assume it's gonna be ****ty.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote