Music Banter - View Single Post - Opera lovers?
Thread: Opera lovers?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I am not a fan of operas because they often seem overly simplistic and overly theatrical, but our orchestra is playing an orchestral version of "Hänsel und Gretel" by Engelbert Humperdinck and the "Evening Song" movement is quite beautiful, I feel. So, I decided to share it.

Who was Engelbert Humperdinck? No, he isn't that British singer or the man from the movie "The Princess Bride." He was a German composer (1854 – 1921) best known for this opera, Hänsel und Gretel.

One interesting fact about Humperdinck is that he was the first composer to use Sprechgesang, a vocal technique halfway between singing and speaking (Wikipedia). Maybe he was one of the first rap composers! Also, he had a heart attack during a music performance, and died the next day of a second heart attack. So, it's bad that he had a heart attack...but good that he was listening to music!

The composition "Evening Song" includes lovely swells and crests. I like the violin part the best because it is melodious and interesting but fairly easy but fun to play. I get chills sometimes while playing it.

The following youtube video is of a youth orchestra playing "Evening Song" quite capably along with a university orchestra. My favorite part is around 4:00 and especially up through 5:00 and right after when you hit the crest around 5:20. I might even break down and buy an MP3 of the professional orchestral version of "Evening Song" to hear it in all its glory without the coughing that you get in the video.

Hänsel und Gretel - Evening Song (Orchestral Version) by Engelbert Humperdinck

And here is how the song sounds when sung by opera singers:

Hänsel und Gretel - Evening Song (Opera version) by Engelbert Humperdinck

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote