Music Banter - View Single Post - Opera lovers?
Thread: Opera lovers?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Never really delved directly into opera. I've listened to excerpts that are from operas, and Madam Butterfly(Which somebody I knew won in a contest, and gave to me). It's a really really good classical piece, in my eyes.

Albeit, one opera I've ALWAYS wanted to see a tape of in entirety is Ligeti's "La Grand Macabre". Any clip I've seen of it has been amazing:

I can't seem to find any copies of the full thing, though. Shame, I can find the soundtrack but without what I'm seeing here as visuals, I can't imagine enjoying it as much(albeit it's very fun to listen to).
Skaligo, I'd never heard of the "La Grand Macabre" opera by Ligeti.

The staging in that YouTube clip certainly makes it look tantalizing, but this description of the opera from Wikipedia makes it look downright delicious:

Quote:
Le Grand Macabre - Le Grand Macabre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After having seen Mauricio Kagel's anti-operatic work Staatstheater, Ligeti came to the conclusion that it was not possible to write any more anti-operas. Ligeti therefore resolved to write an "anti-anti-opera", an opera with an ironic recognition of both operatic traditions and anti-operatic criticism of the genre. From its brief overture, a mixture of rhythmic sounds scored for a dozen car horns, to the closing passacaglia in mock classical style...
An "anti-anti-opera" with an overture that is a mixture of rhythmic sounds scored for a dozen car horns!

Now *I* want to see this/hear this, too! I think you are very right that without the sets, the opera would lose most of its meaning.

Here, this is an odd clip: "Gepopo (Barbara Hannigan), the chief of the secret service, informs Prince Go Go of the panic in the streets as the citizens learn of the impending end of the world." This person below must be Gepopo. Move over, Lady Gaga!!

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-17-2010 at 06:32 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote