Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 50 albums of TheFolkslave
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #41 (permalink)
TheFolkslave
Music Addict

37. Opeth - Still Life (1999)

Genre: Progressive death metal

Opeth is a Swedish progressive death metal band from Stockholm. The band was formed in 1990 and has since gone through several personnel changes. Singer, guitarist, and songwriter Mikael Ã…kerfeldt has remained Opeth's driving force since joining the group immediately after its inception in 1990.
Opeths music is rooted in death metal but they have always incorporated elements from various other genres such as progressive rock, folk, blues-rock and jazz into their music.
Opeth's music is charecterized by the use of strong dynamic shifts from soft acoustic guitar interludes to heavier metal riffs as well as going from melodic clean vocals to death metal style growling.

Opeth has released nine studio albums in their twenty year career and Still Life is the fourth studio album. The story starts as the main charecter returns to his old hometown from where he was banished years earlier for being a heathen and not having the same faith than the other town inhabitants. The man returns so he could meet his old loved one Melinda that he had to leave behind years ago. Soon the man hears that during the time he has been gone Melinda has become a nun. The man tries to convince her to leave the town and follow him, but Melinda declines although she loves him. Soon the girl is killed by the townsmen for talking with his old love. Hearing about the demise of Melinda the main charecter goes on rampage killing the inhabitants of the town. The guards catch him and soon they hang him.

I used to be a huge Opeth fan for a long time, but these days I don't care that much for them since they have steadily gone worse after Still Life.
I was quite hesitant at first about even writing about this album, but this album is just so great I had no other choise. Everything about this album is great. The story, lyrics, songs... everything. I think this album is a masterpiece and I love it so much I even have two different copies of it in my CD collection. Im also going to buy the vinyl as soon as I get myself to buy a new vinyl player.

Track listing:

1. The Moor
2. Godhead's Lament
3. Benighted
4. Moonlapse Vertigo
5. Face of Melinda
6. Serenity Painted Death
7. White Cluster

Well I come from the old time baby, where all the kids are crazy.
TheFolkslave is offline   Reply With Quote