Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #802 (permalink)
skaltezon
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Consider your reason for valuing human lives the most. I have never read any modern science study proving that only humans think about thinking. Also, I'd be very surprised if babies and young children think about thinking. So it isn't even clear that people always think about thinking. And why should the ability to think about thinking be more important than an animal's ability to love, feel friendship, feel playfulness and pleasure?
Good point. Why should the biggest ego get to eat the lesser egos? Ooo, I can do calculus, so I'll have a steak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I try to give animals the benefit of the doubt. If I know the animal has a brain, I know it is thinking or experiencing *something* and so I try to avoid killing it, even if it is an invertebrate animal whose life I value much less than the life of a pig because the pig is so much more mentally aware and capable. I rarely go out of my way to kill creepy-crawlies. Even as a little child I'd rescue worms from sidewalks so they wouldn't get stepped on.
I think I love you.
skaltezon is offline   Reply With Quote