Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #13861 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Congrats, Lateralus, on your new job!

Our local school has a wonderful young kindergarten teacher...so sweet and kind and fun. She really makes the entrance to the school experience a good one. I feel you are lucky to get a class of young kids, because you can make a such a positive difference in their lives!

And they are pretty small, so at least when they get out of control they can't hurt anyone...much. Just make sure they don't get wild with those pencils! When I helped in a 1st grade class, pencils and eyes being poked out were a constant fear for me. You turn your back and the next moment there's a pencil sword fight going on! GAA!!!

I hope you'll have an aide, because otherwise I can see how you could get run ragged with a bunch of little kids often wanting to do their own thing. After helping out, I could see why class size matters. The teacher I was helping said it would be impossible to do the job without volunteers to help, because you have to spend individual time with children evaluating their progress, which means you can't easily watch the whole class that dissolves quickly into chaos without supervision.
Thanks Vegangelica!

Yeah, I agree with this all 100%! I don't think I'll have an aide, but class sizes at the school are around 20 pupils per class so that is pretty fantastic! And there'll be other Prep teachers nearby if I ever need help, plus I'd always welcome parents into the classroom if they wanted to get involved! But yes it is really hard spending enough time with each children They all have very specific and individual learning needs! But like you said it'll be great having those little minds to mold and I'm looking forward to it. (Even if I'm still completely terrified!) Thanks again!

And thank you also, mojo!