Music Banter - View Single Post - Dr Dre's Influence On Other Genres
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Priya
Groupie

Default Dr Dre's Influence On Other Genres

I i'd first like to introduce myself as Priya an individual who was involved in the Indian music scene a few years ago and I thought i'd get the ball rolling with a first thread to talk about how the influences of Dr Dre has shaped the indian industry in the area of bhangra.

Firstly Dr Dre has had so many hits it would take me all day to name them all. Although in the past the hip hop industry has been subjected to sampling in the case of Truth Hursts Addictive, most original material to come out is pure original. However if we look at tracks produced by Dr Dre such as In Da CLub - it blew up internationally and this brings me on to my first point..

As the track was a huge success the indian industry opted to take such a beat and use it within there industry using the sampling method - Check out [youtube.com/watch?v=EWKvIqjvJaY]YouTube - Big Suga Kane Feat. KS Bhamrah (Apna Sangeet) - Sher Punjabi (50 Cent *New*)[/url] - which uses the beat, combined with traditional Indian instruments and vocals of the guy who appeared on top of the pops along side panjabi mc!

In Da Club to do possibly has over 100 bootlegg copies in the Indian industry along with tracks which sample track by timberland (such as [youtube.com/watch?v=3rBdTIm1vds]YouTube - Sarbjit Saab - Desi Back **BANNED FROM TV**[/url]) and so forth.

I've always understood sampling as being creative, but is sampling creative?

The sampling phase in bhangra blew up between 2000 -2006 before strict regulations came in to place banning it which has since seen a decline in releases in the indian industry (as even Panjabi Mc MEGA HIT - was based on sampling a knight rider - even he has struggled in my opinion to re-release something in the mainstream market as big) and the scene is seen as being dead with only a hand full of artists putting out Original production.

So the question I want to ask is, do you think bootlegging/sampling is good or bad?
Priya is offline   Reply With Quote