Music Banter - View Single Post - Decline of cd sales
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
As for vinyl - a fantastic format truly, but one that I've found to be overrated and impractical. And that's not even taking into consideration how expensive just getting decent equipment is, which makes it a pain in the ass to capitalize upon unless you have a large collection of vinyl in the first place or your Dad's $800 player from 1978.
I was surprised to read this month that Elvis Costello made his new album, National Ransom, available as a CD but also as a vinyl double LP.

Costello told Time Magazine, "The real record is the LP; that's the way I think it should sound. I released it as four 78-r.p.m. records cause I wanted people to have something special. There's nothing quaint or arcane about it. It's just that some music sounds better in that form."

I was surprised Costello felt this way about vinyl, because my memory of records is that they warp and get scratched, which doesn't seem to add too much to the music other than a sweet sense of nostalgia.

I'm with Dreadnaught on music and movie quality...if I like a song or movie, I'll listen or watch in any format and still like the song or movie. I listen to almost all music as Youtube videos.

I think CDs will eventually be replaced by files, since files can last indefinitely (as long as there are computers and electricity). Even my dad, who is over 70, has an ipod and downloads files and even rips mp3s from youtube videos to store them on his computer! I don't think he buys CDs anymore at all!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote