Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ultimate Compilation I
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #203 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
However, I know nothing about Dark Wave or Ethereal Wave. Can you tell me what main category they'd fall under?
They fall under Rock section definitely. The reason I asked for the second opinion on whether should Dead Can Dance be tagged as dark wave or ethereal is this: I consider Dark Wave to be a broad term that encompasses several genres like death-punk, gothic-rock, ethereal, cold wave etc., basically it was originally a term describing a darker side of new wave and post-punk. In this regard, Joy Division, for example would be one of the first dark wave bands. But I've seen that some people look at dark wave as a later development and more synth oriented, melancholic music, very floating etc, basically the same as Ethereal. Here's the wiki page and it actually agrees with my view: Dark Wave

But, to get to the point, Dead Can Dance were an Ethereal band, but also Dark Wave. It's not a mistake to call them with both names. We already have a Goth-Rock genre on the list and if we include Ethereal, should we also include Dark Wave as a separate genre, or should Dead Can Dance define both? That's my question and I'd like to hear opinions from other people here.