Music Banter - View Single Post - Dancehall
Thread: Dancehall
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitting_Singularity View Post
so I recently was in Guyana for 3 months doing community service. for those of you who don't know Guyana is in South America but is considered part of the Caribbean culture seeing as it is the only english-speaking country in south america. It also shares musical influences and while I was there I fell in love with Reggae and most of all dancehall.

Most of the world isn't very educated on Jamaican music besides Bob Marley and Sean Paul, and it seems the same with these forums, but there must be a few people into the Caribbean music scene, no?

Before I went to Guyana I listened to Sean Paul and Elephant Man.

I now know the likes of Vybz Kartel, Mr. Vegas, Collie Budz, DeMarco, Beenie Man, Mavado, Serani, etc.

Most of all I fell in love with Busy Signal. He is a dancehall artist, but incorporates a lot of other genres in his music.

Anyone else into the Dancehall scene? What arsits do you like? And most of all has anyone else heard of Busy Signal ?!?!?!?
I like Dancehall a lot, but I find that there's more that I don't like in the genre than I do. It's become very "club-ish" lately and the hip hop vocoder obsession has bled into the genre full force.

I wish there were a lot more political, purposeful dancehall artists out there. I pretty much stick with my select faves Capleton, Sizzla, Buju Banton, and Beenie Man, among others, and even they tend to be more reggae/dancehall crossover.

For me it's really hard to find decent dancehall that I like that doesn't simply amount to glorified club music, but it's definitely out there and worth searching for.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote