Music Banter - View Single Post - What kind of sound system rig do you have?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #66 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Thanks .
I'll be glad to inform you.
If you ask me, there's not much improvement on sound quality the last years. I have some jazz and classical 50's recordings that sound just brilliant (e.g. Davis' Kind of Blue and Brubeck's Take Five)
Yeah it's getting easier to get good sound nowadays. There's not much to go wrong when copying a CD. Tapes and cassettes too are often qualified as 'lo fi', but that's because even back then, people often didn't know how to use their equipment.
A tape can sound at least as good as a CD (even a cassette), if not better. But it takes some effort, that's true .

I'm not the kind of guy who hates digital 'just because'. Digital sound can be brilliant, but the format that's used on a CD (16 bits 44khz) just isn't quite enough. It had to fit on the disc, though. So what do you do. It's the same with tapes. The faster the tape runs, the more space there is for music and the better it sounds. In studio's these tapes run at almost a meter a second, which is...well... fast ;D

Last edited by s_k; 11-23-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Lack of sleep and speaking english ;)
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote