Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #146 (permalink)
zachsd
Music Addict

Quote:
I'm posting his song The King of Spain and wondering what other Dylan fans think of his music.
Ah man, I'm really conflicted about Tallest Man on Earth. Listening to him I know his music is good and that I should be digging it, it's just through every song there's a little voice in the back of my head saying "he's trying to imitate Bob Dylan and no one can imitate Bob Dylan". His voice also seems like a Swede's interpretation of an American accent, and it just comes off as being cheap to me. I guess I view my problem with TME as a personal conflict, so no one take my criticism too personally haha

Also, I don't really like his lyrics either. I guess it's just because I'm always sizing him up with Dylan. That's another problem I have with this new indie-folk trend thats become popular. It's folk music with a lot of good musicians, but the lyrics just don't mean anything to me. It's folk music with pop lyrics, and folk and pop just don't really go together well.

Oh and nice work with the Dylan reviews. I'm always torn between deciding whether Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks is my favorite Dylan album. What does it for me on Blood on the Tracks is the storytelling. I mean, "Lily, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts" tells a story that someone could write an entire novel about, same goes for "Tangled up in Blue". What does it for me on Blonde on Blonde is the poetry, e.g. "Visions of Johanna".
zachsd is offline   Reply With Quote