Music Banter - View Single Post - What audio gear have you gained lately?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

I have a forum of my owned called analogaudio.
One of the forum members had this lying around and gave it away.
He's a nice guy (not just because of that ) .
I was the first to reply.

Freebees are not that hard to get. You just need to be really alert and let everyone know what you collect.

I was at my ex-girlfriends place lately, in Utrecht.
I had an appointment there with a guy who would deliver a Revox tapedeck at her house.
The price was about 40 dollars which is dead cheap, since a revox usually does three or four times that money.
I mailed the man I was in Utrecht and if he had time to come by. I also asked him to tell me when he was coming, so I could get the money from an ATM.
He then replied 'forget about the money, that was just to filter serious replies'.
Got the revox for free. I ran to the store before he came and bought him a box of chocolates. Was the least I could do

The thing with tapedecks is, you have to know what's what.
Theres machines worth $5, there's machines worth $2000.
I often buy a machine for a nice price and then sell an accessory for the price I bought the machine for. It's not because I'm a cheapskate or some sort of dealer, I just don't have that much money. I need those lucky moments.
Also I don't think it's reasonable to pay hundreds of dollars for a 35 year old obsolete machine. True, they can sound better than a CD, but I'm just not willing to pay that much just because there is a market for it. It's still an old device that needs revisions and such

I recently bought this machine:

For about 60 dollars. Normally worth about 450 dollars overhere.
It came with a dust cover, worth about 125 dollars.
I sold the dust cover for 125 dollars and gave the money I gained to the friend who picked the machine up for me. He was really quick (you have to be ).