Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #15074 (permalink)
Barnard17
My home? Discabled,

Well at that point I hadn't slept for 36 hours, only eaten a sandwich that day (and it was late in the evening) and the day before been on a march in the centre where we'd been kettled, heckled by the police, wandered near a police rottweiler (and two alsatians while they handcuffed a guy they'd knocked unconscious), worried that my housemate was in the middle of a police beating, seen a friend arrested for being too close to an attempted kettle expansion, shouted myself hoarse (which I still am).

Then had to sit through hours of absolute horsesh*t of Uni student union politics talking about amalgamating 4 cards into 1 while we wanted to get through motions to support the lecturers should they strike and show solidarity with the universities in occupation. Only to have the idea of showing support for lecturers shot down by our own SU President because apparently our individual interests are more important than the wellbeing of hundreds of those who are there for us day in, day out, helping us learn. To top it off some ****y Tory toff tell us that because his degree in engineering is instrumental to getting a job, whereas our degrees are intrinsic in their generation of knowledge only (yet ... oddly more employable ...) we didn't deserve funding but he did. And that poor kids shouldn't get to go to Uni because if they can't pay they're plainly not very dedicated to learning.

So my feeling as I look at him in that picture is pure rage that I don't think I'd ever felt to such a degree in my life, when on the march I saw kids of like 13 in their school uniform who knew more about living than him and Edinburgh uni which isn't facing fees at all going into occupation in solidarity (and in f*cking style) yet getting any social consciousness out of our massive uni is akin to getting blood from a stone.

And dude? Tell me about it!

Vita brevis,
Occasio praeceps
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote