Music Banter - View Single Post - Velvet Underground
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #200 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPat View Post
Which do you think is their best and worst album? And why? Just a bit curious.
Best: White Light/White Heat - The amalgamation of everything vile and corrosive about the band. There are no tunes like "I'll Be Your Mirror" or "Sunday Morning" here for you catch your breath in - just an unrelenting, pure 'rock and roll' vibe, with no production value or pretense. They simply take the formula that 70s rockers (Journey, AC/DC) would dilute and ruin and play it in an uncompromising way; and somehow, behind the chaos, distortion and disgust, there is beauty. It should be noted that I love "The Gift" - the story, the jam in the background, everything... It's my second favorite on the album. Anybody who considers themselves 'too cool' for it is building up an awfully high wall.

Worst: Loaded - Doesn't really strike me in any way at all. They proved themselves as great pop artists on their self-titled, but this is just a snoozefest, a few tracks strike me as good, but that's it. Not repulsive or anything, but you'd expect more from this band. (Squeeze is obviously their worst, but I don't consider that a TVU album).

Last edited by clutnuckle; 11-26-2010 at 10:25 PM.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote