Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #15086 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard17 View Post
Haha! We actually had an American anarchist speaking today who's a former lecturer (or reader or whatever) at Yale and now works in a UK university or spoke a lot at how to obfuscate and placate police without losing the protest and without resorting to violence. It was quite good.
See, the obviously intentional use of the worst obfuscate there is the problem I have with Protests. The police aren't the "enemy", and never are. They're just doing their job. If I was just trying to do my job, and a bunch of belligerent, angry students came up to me, potentially drunk and throwing rocks, punches and whatever else they could get their hands on at me, I'd want to retaliate. If I back off, people call me cowardly and the mob presses forward (because let's face it, mob mentality is always, without fail, brutal. If I stand my ground, people get hurt. If people refuse to move, I am obliged to use any force necessary to remove them, because guess what, that's my job.

I know that what you're saying is that you'd like it done in a non-violent way, but to obfuscate is defined as "the concealment of intended meaning in communication, making communication confusing, intentionally ambiguous, and more difficult to interpret". In essence, attempting to confuse, bewilder and undermine a group of people who have been tasked with an already difficult job which they might not agree with, but are obliged to do, as it is their job

I'd say more, but this is a picture thread, not a "Debate the pointlessness of protests and anger against the police" thread.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote