Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #3035 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Hah! I never thought of reading a hardcover book on the bus as a douchey prerequisite, in fact when I was living in Vancouver and working in the lumberyard I use to love the juxtaposition I created while reading a non-fiction science book while dressed in my dirty work clothes. I will say that there are some books I think people read in public more for attention then anything else, like the Anarchist Cookbook or Mein Kampf, or maybe I'm just a judgmental asshole.

As far as Guns, Germs & Steel is concerned the author's diction and syntax is quite friendly and easy to read, but I usually get about 200 - 300 pages in before something else catches my eye. I have a shelf full of half finished books that I play on finishing some day, a lot of them I read in between finishing one book and starting another. A perfect example is The Godfather, I started that in the summer of 2003 and read a good portion of it over the summer but put it down for something else, I think it was The Talisman, but after that was finished I picked up The Godfather again by Christmas 2003 and had it finished some time by the spring of '04. Sometimes I can just plow though a book and sometimes I need to take a break.
Well see, that scene would be fine. "Alright, this guy works with his hands, I'm pretty sure he isn't an uppity, elitist dip****." I ride the bus in a tie with a laptop. They're going to think that. As for finishing books, I refuse to start new ones unless they're really bad. It can suck, but I hate leaving things unfinished.

And anyone who reads Mein Kampf or AC in public is a first-rate twaat. I'd give them the ol' Christian Bale:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma View Post
I'm about to go on to the Great Gatsby now
The Great American Novel.