Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitar
Thread: Guitar
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
BeanerschnitzelX
Groupie

A good start would be learn the various chords and scales on guitar. The first scales I would learn (these are the ones I learned first) are the major scale, the minor scale, and the minor pentatonic scale. I believe these are the most crucial scales in music overall.

Also, learn the open chords (given that you're guitar is tuned standard, EADGBe). The numbers represent which fret you should press down on, the x's represent strings you don't play or mute (you mute them if you're chord looks something like this: 3x123x).

-Gmaj (320033), Gm is best played in the form of a barre chord (355333)
-Emaj (022100), and Em (022000)*
-Amaj (x02220), and Am (x02210)*
-Dmaj (xx0232), and Dm (xx0231)
-Cmaj (x32010)*, Cm is best played barred too (x35543)

The chords with * are the three important barre chord voicings you should learn. Barre chords are useful for playing chords that are not normally played openly, without muting any strings. The Cmaj barre chord is fairly difficult to play at first, but keep at it, you'll soon gain flexibility in your fingers.

Also, if you're interested in writing/understanding music, you should study this table.

C Major Scale
I - C Major
II - D Minor
III - E Minor
IV - F Major
V - G Major
VI - A Minor
VII - B Diminished

Using the table, you can create consonant (normal sounding) chord progressions. But you should focus on the basics before moving onto music theory, as it is fairly complex.

That's how I would get started. If you have any questions...

Also youtube, ehow.com, and ultimate-guitar.com are good sources for learning guitar.
BeanerschnitzelX is offline   Reply With Quote