Music Banter - View Single Post - Hipsters
Thread: Hipsters
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPat View Post
There will ALWAYS be generalizations of people. While I agree with you on this, I have to say that I said in the beginning that I am against stereotyping people. This is just a fun thread and nobody is being picked on.
Well sure, there will always be stereotypes because there will always be people trying to assimilate you into the newest trend, BUT those generalizations are cultural, not musical. It's "Music Banter". Not "Musical Stereotypes You Give to People to Try to Comprehend Their Listening Habits Banter". I know you obviously aren't trying to hurt anybody, but:

Quote:
starts trends, listens to obscure music, has an elitist attitude, dresses like they are poor (but they spent a lot of money looking like it), artsy, etc.
Do you really want to perpetuate that kind of attitude? That's what these kind of threads do. For five-or-six pages, people make genre jokes about hipsters and how Pitchfork gave an album a 9.4 so they have to get it, then it just dies, and the hipsterisms are in their heads. Doesn't really have the intended effect.

Plus it really doesn't inherit musical discussion aside from saying things like "I heard they listen to death metal now. But only OBSCURE death metal like so-and-so. Man, they're so weak!"

This video sums up everything wrong with 'hipster slander': MC Lars is a white guy who cashes in on pop culture by making really cheap (and not very funny) fun of it. Remember when hip-hop artists actually attacked things that mattered? WELL MOVE OVER PUBLIC ENEMY, MC Lars makes fun of the stereotypical Pitchfork hipster with the poignancy of a toddler! I got a cheap laugh out of it the first time I heard it, but it's really not much.

clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote