Music Banter - View Single Post - Post your baroque music videos here
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post

Bach's 'Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G major' (BWV 1048)
Bach's Brandenburg Concerto *is* lovely, skaltezon.

The players in the two videos you posted are much more animated than I usually see in chamber orchestras. I enjoyed watching them more than a regular orchestra because the players' individual personalities are more pronounced.

You can also see them interacting with each other: they are really playing...not just playing an instrument, but playing together. The sort of play you mean when you're a child and ask a friend, "Do you want to come over to play?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
Baroque music for guitar: Gaspar Sanz. Two short (but great) vids: Canarios played by a young John Williams in 1975, and EspaƱoletas played by Pepe Romero:
I hadn't thought of there being American Baroque! Thanks for sharing these, Zaqarbal. I particularly liked this video of John Williams that you posted. I'm always pleased to see male classical guitarists who defy social male-female gender conventions for the sake of their music by growing their own picks! :p

Here's a pretty harp piece that is tearfully and plaintively pretty in places: Handel's Harp concerto in B flat major, HWV 294. If you start listening at 3:42, you'll hear what I feel is one of the sweetest passages in any piece of music at 3:48, and again you hear it at 5:30.

Handel, Harp concerto in B flat major, Op. 4/6, HWV 294

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote