Music Banter - View Single Post - Hipsters
Thread: Hipsters
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
I was actually a hipster for last Halloween. I wore flip flops, American Eagle jeans, a plaid t-shirt, as best a beard as I could have grown, and one of these hats:

There is nothing at all hipster about flip flops and American Eagle jeans. I think you may have your stereotypes mixed up. Plaid and beards, sure, that more typically associated with hipsters. But really, how long have people been wearing plaid and growing beards? Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
This new commercial almost made me cringe at how "current" it tries to be:

Who the hell is Pomplamoose? Exactly!
Disregarding the band and whether they are well-known or not, I fail to see anything hipster about the commercial. The guy had a beard. Is that all it takes these days to be labeled a hipster? The clothes they are wearing are just normal fashion these days.

Sure there are certain fashion trends these days that I'm not hip to (mostly the recycled 80s stuff like bright colors and those fake Ray-Ban sunglasses with the colored arms) because I grew up with that stuff and don't need to see it again, but I think most hipster-hating comes from just not being hip to current fashion trends. Just because you (and I mean that in the general sense) are not willing to accept certain things that others wear and you prefer to wear the same style clothing you wore 10 years ago, does not make everyone around you that does care more about current fashion trends a hipster.