Music Banter - View Single Post - Hipsters
Thread: Hipsters
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
There is nothing at all hipster about flip flops and American Eagle jeans. I think you may have your stereotypes mixed up. Plaid and beards, sure, that more typically associated with hipsters. But really, how long have people been wearing plaid and growing beards? Ok.
American Eagle jeans & flip flops are a bit on the older side. They're more circa 09'. Plaid & beards were big in the 70s. My one friend posted a pic of his "hero" who was almost like a lumberjack. Big beard, long hair, and flannel. Ah yes, flannel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Disregarding the band and whether they are well-known or not, I fail to see anything hipster about the commercial. The guy had a beard. Is that all it takes these days to be labeled a hipster? The clothes they are wearing are just normal fashion these days.
It's not so much the clothes as the whole commercial. The hand knit sweaters, the "cute" hand puppets, the sort of huge clunky headsets, the lack of any real effects, it's all very DIY. It looks like it could be done with a $100 budget, which is the base of its appeal with these kids. Hobo chic. That girl's voice sort of bothers me too. I don't know of it's just me, but that type of singing, and that sort of voice is everywhere. It's hard to explain. It's just that once I spot a fad coming on, it takes forever for it to really take root. I know when I saw Rockwell font twice in 2 days, I knew it was gonna be big. Now it's everywhere. It won't ever dethrone Helvetica or anything, but still. So do note, I don't have a disdain for hipsters as much as a disdain for any long lasting fads. I mean, come on now. This one is getting stale. That, and I'm really eager to see what's gonna be big. We had the 80s there for awhile where bright fluorescent colors were huge and stutter shades was the way to go. Now it's more like the 70s with dull colors and everything looking old and outdated. Maybe we'll revisit the 90s! I hope we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
I like to play a game with my friends when we go to a public place full of young people. It's called "Look at that hipster". It's a contest to see who can point out the hipsterest hipster.
Yeah that makes for a fun time.

Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 11-28-2010 at 10:54 PM.
CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote