Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #547 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
I remember when I was about 8 or 9, and questioned God's existence for the first time to my mother. She didn't get angry or anything, but she took me outside. It was spring, and it was absolutely beautiful. All of our flowers were in full bloom, birds chirping, and a wild rabbit hopping through our yard. My mom just said, "How can you look at all of this, and not at least want to believe in God?"

Because of this, I've never been an Atheist, although I lean towards not believing moreso than believing. I read up on religion quite frequently, and I really do try to see everything completely objectively - which, unfortunately, has not proved horribly conducive to blindly believing as it were.

Regardless, I sometimes look around at how beautiful things are, remember what my mother told me years ago, and think that yes, I'd like to believe that there is some divine being who put all of this here for us to appreciate, and that it wasn't just a coincidence.

I just can't.
So you're not able to see beauty in the world unless you accept it as the creation of a divine being? That seems a little sad, and to me, a natural explanation that us and all other life around us are products of a billions of years process which forges order out of the chaos of cosmos seems to me far more magical than the notion that everything has been created in a matter of days by a divine being like a simple conjuror's trick.

To my mind, the idea that beauty in the world is somehow proof of a divine existence is completely naive on several levels. As a biologist, I can tell you that we know life does not evolve to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. If it did, I could perhaps agree with you.