Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums of the year 2010
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #47 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
The year's not over yet but here's my albums of the year (so far)

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Lol predictable wasn't it? Well to be honest this was the album that defined 2010 for me, i'll have plenty of great memories attached to it. It's just a fantastic album from them, very much on par with Funeral. There's plenty of different styles and moods to be found on this album and it doesn't seem to drag despite it's long running time. Just an epic album.

2. Beach House - Teen Dream
It took me a while to grow to love this album but it's a truly amazing listening experience. I just love immersing in those beautiful, dreamy soundscapes, a really great album to lose yourself in. I'm very interested to hear what they do next.

3. Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms
By far their most accomplished and realised album to date. Songs like 'Laredo' and 'Dilly' show that this band has evolved while still staying true to their original sound. The band certainly sound like they're on the top of their game.

4. School Of Seven Bells - Disconnect From Desire
I was confident that this album would be far better than it's patchy predecessor Alpinisms, and i was certainly far from disappointed. The band have really found their sound here on this album. The combination of electronics and guitars has never sounded better, and the vocals sound really amazing. A very addictive and memorable album.

5. Alcest - Écailles de Lune
A seriously epic album. It's not quite as good as 2007's incredible Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde but it is truly an amazing album. What i really love about this album is the atmosphere, the music certainly lives up to it's awesome album cover. The combination of quiet instrumental passages, heavy guitars, hushed vocals, and haunting black metal screams make this album and amzing listening experience.

6. Butterfly Explosion - Lost Trails
My Irish album of the year. This album really hits the spot for me, it has no shortage of memorable songs and it's beautiful dream-pop/shoegaze-influenced soundscapes sound truly amazing. The guitars just sound really amazing.

7. Autolux - Transit Transit
Was this album worth the wait? Hmm maybe. Is it better than Future Perfect? Probably not, but it's still one of the best albums released this year. This album sounds a bit darker and heavier at times and there's some really great experimentation going on. This album is certainly a welcome release and hopefully we wont have to wait as long for the follow-up.

8. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Probably the most surprising album of the year for me. Having never really grown to understand the appeal of Microcastle this album has certainly changed my perspective on the band. The songwriting and musicianship here is really amazing and the songs have enough variety to keep you hooked from start to finish. Great stuff.

9. The National - High Violet
I do admit that i'm a bit of a latecomer to The National, but when this album finally clicked inside my head i went and got the rest of their discography. A really passionate and emotional album with memorable, well-written songs.

10. The Depreciation Guild - Spirit Youth
Ok i only got this album like a week ago but **** it, i've been playing it pretty much non-stop. Certainly one of the most addictive albums i've heard this year and is jammed-packed with amazing songs. It's not as experimental as their debut but the songs sound all the better. Great stuff.

Might as well mention a few more:

11. Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
12. Blood Red Shoes - Fire Like This
13. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
14. Villagers - Becoming A Jackel
15. Broken Bells - Broken Bells
16. Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernieres Pensees
17. Fight Like Apes - The Body Of Christ, And The Legs Of Tina Turner
18. Avi Buffalo - Avi Buffalo
19. Wintersleep - New Inheritors
20. Local Natives - Gorilla Manor
Pretty much the only list I can even remotely relate to. Maybe us indie folk really should do a separate list...:\

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote