Music Banter - View Single Post - Calexico
Thread: Calexico
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
^wow, I see that you can post a whole lot of photos in one post now.
Ten, tops. Smileys included.

Quote:
Anyway, I too love Calexico. Sorta. In I think 1999 I found a used CD copy of The Black Light, loved it immediately and still count it among my favorite albums.
The Black Light is still one of the best things they made in my opinion.

Quote:
For me they started going downhill after probably Hot Rail. Their newer stuff doesn't really grab me at all. Now they sound a little too serious about their Latin/indie-rock fusion.
I don't know. There's some really nice new songs.
You might want to try Roka or The News About William.
I agree with you that there's a bit too much indie/pop in their songs now.
Especially the "Garden Ruin" album was a bit of a disappointment.
Tool Box is a dreamy instrumental album, maybe you'd like that.

When you like the bit dark, lugubrous atmosphere of "The Black Light", you might want to try some of the later work by Giant Sand or probably the Band Op8. It's not influence by mexican music so much, but it does certainly have some similarity with the earlier work by calexico.

Quote:
Or maybe not serious enough - I dunno but somehow I find them relatively boring now. Really, if it weren't for The Black Light I doubt I would have paid attention. But, yeah, I certainly considered them great at one point.
You might want to give them a try again, sometime.
I agree with you that some of the purity is lost, but the quality of the songwriting and the musical inventions are still there.

Still, I think the Black light is one of their best albums. I agree with you on that