Music Banter - View Single Post - Creating a Top Twenty Best Guitarist List
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Default Creating a Top Twenty Best Guitarist List

Before I start, let me acknowledge the fact that this list will probably not be perfect, and that this thread solely exists for us all to compile a list of guitarists that seem worthy of being in the top twenty. Of course, this will be very difficult for different guitarists are skilled in their own way (unless they just suck). But I digress. Anyways, here's the plan:

1.) Let's establish a list of certain qualities that will help create a system of ranking (i.e. technical skill, innovation, etc).
2.) Let's appoint numerical denominators for each quality to represent (i.e. x/50 could represent technical skill). Of course, this is just an example and we'll look further into this once we have created the list of qualities.
3.) Let's compile a list of around 100 or more guitarists to choose from.
4.) Each person participating in creating this list will vote on twenty of the people they see fit for being in the top twenty. They will not be numbered yet. Just choose twenty. We'll count up the votes and include the twenty with the highest numbers. Post your twenty on the thread.
5.) Once the twenty have been chosen, each person will rate the person on each of the characteristics (i.e. Hendrix - technical skill - 45/50, etc). Post your numbers on thread.
6.) I'll do the averaging. When I have the averages of all the numbers together, then we'll numerically rank them.

This plan may of some flaws, so please suggest anything if you see fit. At the moment, though, let's establish the list of qualities. Here's a few proposals: technical ability, innovation, songwriting skill, live performance, sales, consistency, etc. I would love to have people who have interests in different genres to help, too. Jazz, avant-garde, etc. Not just blues and rock... Let's get at it...