Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #2371 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
what did it innovate (honest question - not trolling)? Halo actually did bring something revolutionary to the FPS genre (the whole 'progressive' health method). what did CoD bring to the table that hadn't already been there in one form or another since?

personal opinion doesn't matter to innovation, it's an objective thing, they either developed and presented a brand new idea for the medium (which i can't think of) or they borrowed from their predecessors like most others (which is like faulting a rock band for having a bass player).

and before anyone says it, nicer graphics is not innovation. it's a reflection of better hardware being mass produced. few programmers still write efficient code, what's the point? just slap on another processor and more ram and stick in a juicier power supply and you're laughing so long as you can still cover the power bill.
That's not what I meant when I said innovative. I meant that the COD games have evolved much more over time then the Halo games. Comparing Black Ops to the original COD to me shows a much bigger change then what seems like the same engines in Combat Evolved to Reach.

Anyways I believe that (as someone already mentioned) COD was the first game to introduce the whole playing on different sides aspect of WWII, as games like Medal of Honor only offered American campaigns beforehand. Oh, and Call of Duty was the first to do Killcam too. That in itself I think took more innovation then just another form of health recovery.

And what exactly do you mean by 'progressive health'? If you mean regenerating health, you are wrong as it wasn't the first (and Halo 1 used health packs, remember?).

Read up if you don't believe me: http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/92-83/

Aiming down the sights was more fresh to gaming when COD used it then regenerating health in Halo.

Last edited by midnight rain; 12-01-2010 at 05:40 AM.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote